Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Granola Bars

After we moved to Colorado and started hiking, I begun buying Luna granola bars periodically so we could have a snack on our longer hikes. Today I decided to try making our own granola bars since (a) store-bought ones are over a dollar a piece, and (b) they're full of junk - the particular flavor of Luna bars my kids liked had over 20 ingredients!

I made two batches, using different nuts and seeds (almonds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, pepitas, flaxseeds, wheat germ) and in one I added peanut butter. They turned out pretty well, although next time I'll add a little more honey to make them chewier. I used two different pans, and we liked the ones that came out thinner better. We decided to add a layer of chocolate to make them yummier, but they're delicious without it as well. Whole foods are so much tastier than processed junk!





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay-I will need the EXACT recipe.

Anonymous said...

yes, I'm coming for the chocolate covered ones. I'll get my ticket tonight ;)
yc