Saturday, May 10, 2008

Whole Wheat Tortillas

We buy our whole wheat tortillas from a Columbian lady at the local farmers' market, and they are delicious. We go through them very quickly here, probably three bags a week - one bag for burrito night, one bag for egg/cheese/potato tacos, and the other bag Owen eats throughout the week just plain as a snack before bed.

They're $3.25 for a bag of eight 10-inch tortillas. Jimmy has mentioned a few times that he thinks that's expensive. I think it's a steal since they're not made with lard and they're fresh. I haven't compared the price to the yucky ones in the grocery store, though.

Well, today I decided to make homemade tortillas, so I ground up some wheat, mixed in some water, baking powder, salt, and olive oil, and then cooked them on a tortilla press, and they turned out great! They were super easy and very delicious. And of course dirt cheap. Jimmy's frugality has definitely been a "mother of invention" for me in the kitchen. Well, not mother of invention - more like mother of a larger baking repertoire.

The kids ate them plain faster than I could make them, but here's a picture of the few I had left:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay-so I will need this exact recipe too. The whole wheat ones in the store make me gag.

Anonymous said...

Yum! I love whole-wheat tortillas. I've tried to make tortillas before with no luck. You make it sound like a breeze. Mine always come out too hard or too thick or they just taste burt...so give me the exact recipe.

I'm so sorry I missed your B-day! Happy Birthday! Happy Birthday! Happy Birthday!

Can't believe the snow! Wow!

Anonymous said...

Burt? Geez. Make that burnt. I need a long nap...

Happpy Birthday again. :)