Monday, February 11, 2008

Cleaning....

When I was in the second trimester of pregnancy with the twins, I could barely bend over, and I felt like I had run a marathon within an hour of arising in the morning. So, my wonderful husband got me these two lovely maids that came twice a month. H-e-a-v-e-n! I still had them after the twins were born because... well, I was nursing every two hours around the clock. So naturally when we moved to Colorado I thought he would still let me have a maid come twice a month. Nope.

At first I was a bit annoyed. How was I going to keep the house clean? I think Jimmy knew what I now know - I already HAVE maids! Six of them to be exact! So I've spent the last six months or so training them to clean our home. It's been difficult at times - you have to keep on them like white on rice. Three words are of vital importance in training children to clean - inspect, inspect, and inspect. But now, finally, I have some pretty good workers on my hands. They rarely complain about chores (although Eli has feigned injuries a few times as soon as I said it was time to clean) and they work hard, and I have to say, they clean pretty darn well. The only thing I do is mop the kitchen floor and clean the sink, countertops, and stove, and they clean the rest of the house.

Well, today I got to witness even more fruit from my labor. I was cleaning in the kitchen, and I hear Eli in the bathroom saying, "See, like this... Good, Riley. Good. Right here, see? That's good, Riley!! Now over here..." So I peek in the bathroom, and I see Eli training Riley to clean the toilet! I was so proud of my little man. He ain't no spring chicken - he's working himself right out of some of his chores! Here's some pics of him training Riley....



2 comments:

Carole Turner said...

I love it!! I think one of the best thing a parent can do for a kid is teach them to clean and make them do it on a regular basis. It's constant training and retraing as they grow up, Evangeline will still shove everything under her bed if I get her, but she has been cleaning since she was physically able too and I think it helps her not have that entitlement mentality in life. We have an entire generation of 20 somethings who think they are the center of the universe and everyone is supposed to wait on them, I don't want her or Steele to be like that.

Lori said...

Okay, I LOVE this! What a smart smart little man!!